Preview of NARR 2017 Best Practices Conference
We have an outstanding program planned this year. The week of October 15 in Chicago features two events — our annual conference (now extended to three days), and a special Sunday pre-conference workshop. Speakers and panels include:
- Keynote address by Dr. Kimberly Johnson, Director of SAMHSA’s Center for Substance Abuse Treatment
- John Driscoll, Senior Vice President of Recovery Services at the Hazelden-Betty Ford Foundation on how they view the role of recovery residences, and what they look for in residence recommendations to their clients
- Steve Polin with an update on fair housing issues nationally, including measures providers can take when housing rights are challenged by local authorities
- Harry Nelson, a nationally known behavioral health attorney, will discuss the health care reform landscape, including changes to the Affordable Care Act, and what they might mean to recovery residences
- Rachel Post, Public Policy Director at Portland’s Central City Concern will suggest ways that recovery residences can become more closely allied with homeless services initiatives and programs
- Drs. Leonard Jason and Amy Mericle will review the research behind evidence-based practices, and suggest a research agenda to increase acceptance of recovery residences as best practices
- Kristina Padilla, Director of Education at the California Consortium of Addiction Programs & Professionals (CCAPP) will provide a brief interactive workshop on cultural competency and LGBT populations
We’re also offering a separate one-day workshop by Dr. David Best on using recovery capital principles to assist residents in setting and managing their personal recovery goals. More information on the workshop here.
This will be an amazing week. We hope you can join us!